COFFEEEE! Campers Wake Up! Time to Rise! Coffeeeeee! our guide Carolyn calls out.
I open my eyes. Five in the morning. I lie on top of my sleeping bag covered by a friend's sarong. The brilliant moon above obliterates the light of all but the brightest stars. Cliffs rise up on all sides still in shadow, their ragged outlines hover against the pale sky. I hear the rush of the propane stove and see the headlamps of our three intrepid guides floating over the table as they prepare breakfast. The river, our constant companion, splashes and hums in the distance. I hear other campers stirring among the tall bushes and rocks where they found places to throw down their tarps and their mats and unroll their sleeping bags the night before.
I never make it to coffee time. I grab a swig of water and start rolling up my sleeping bag. I am trying to pack up my stuff faster than ever. We have not yet got out to the river on time because it takes so long to load the raft. Maybe today!
photo by Penny Kielpinski
Nicely done, you story teller, you!
ReplyDelete